Recognizing the impact of COVID-19 on people’s housing stability, BC Rent Bank and five rent bank partners have come together to offer housing support and homelessness prevention services from June 1, 2020 to September 30, 2020. The goal is to support individuals and families to maintain their housing, limit the spread of COVID-19, provide a safe and secure space to isolate and to reduce the demand and overcrowding of shelters.
To find out more information, please contact one of the five rent bank partners.
- Fraser Valley Rent Bank
- North Shore Rent Bank
- Richmond Rent Bank
- TriCities Rent Bank
- Vancouver Rent Bank
Please note – you must be a resident of the community to apply.
This project is funded by the Government of Canada’s
Reaching Home: Canada’s Homelessness Strategy.
BC Rent Bank continues to monitor developments of COVID-19.
- Rent Bank services now available in the North Okanagan and Columbia Shuswap Regional districts through Kamloops District & Elizabeth Fry Society and in Langley through Sources Community Resources
- In response to COVID-19, the BC Rent Bank project will be working with existing rent banks around the province to ensure that additional funds are available for those who need access to a temporary loan to maintain their housing stability.
- The BC Rent Bank project is also monitoring forthcoming announcements and initiatives by the federal and provincial governments in order to complement these efforts as needed.
- We’ve been in contact with all of our rent bank partners and we have asked them to update us on developments in their area. We’re asking rent banks to consider rapid assessments to determine eligibility and to make adjustments to services that would avoid person-to-person contact.
- The $10 million dollars that were allocated in the spring of 2019 were to help support and increase the growth of rent bank services in BC. We don’t believe these funds would sufficiently support a crisis response to COVID-19 and will continue to work with all levels of government to build capacity and to offer lessons learned from rent banks.
- To locate rent bank services in BC, please go to https://bcrentbank.ca/locations/
Prior to Contacting a Rent Bank Before contacting a rent bank to determine your eligibility, please check out the following resources for support:
- Government of Canada Benefits
- Employment Insurance
- Rental Assistance Program (RAP)
- Shelter Aid For Elderly Renters (SAFER)
- BC Hydro Customer Crisis Fund
For Further Information Download the Following: